Birds of the Bible – Ossifrage (Possibly Lammer-geier)
And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the osprey, (Leviticus 11:13)
It is unclear what the Ossifrage really is. Some call it the bearded vulture or giant petrel. So, here are pictures of what it might be related to or yet, it could be extinct. Only God knows which bird was really indicated.
- Birds of the Bible – Ossifrage
- Birds of the Bible – Name Study ~ Ossifrage
- Nave’s Topical Bible –Ossifrage
- Accipitridae – Kites, Hawks and Eagles Family
- Cathartidae – New World Vultures Family
- Lee’s Two Word Tuesday – 10/4/16
Some articles about the Ossifrage:
The Lammergeier or Bearded Vulture, Gypaetus barbatus (“Bearded Vulture-Eagle”), is an Old World vulture, the only member of the genus Gypaetus. (from Wikipedia)
Ossifrage (WebBible Encyclopedia)
Because of the uncertainty about this bird, I am not making Photo or Video pages.
Would u want to eat this?
I don’t think so!