So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:21 NKJV)
But now ask the beasts, and they will teach you; And the birds of the air, and they will tell you; (Job 12:7 NKJV)
As far as I know, the term “Orni-Theology” is not copyrighted. We have been doing “Orni-Theology” blogs from the beginning, but this is the perfect name for those articles. The Birds of the Bible articles are about specific birds named in Scripture, where as Orni-Theology articles have a principle of a bird’s behavior applied in relation to Scripture.
In John Stott’s The Birds Our Teachers, Stott says, “So over the years I have been trying to develop a new branch of science, which a friend and I have jocularly called “orni-theology’, or the theology of birds. It is founded on an important biblical principle namely that in the beginning God made man, male and female, in his own image and gave us dominion of the earth and its creation.” (pg 10)
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” (Genesis 1:26-28 NKJV)
The thumbnail at the right will be placed in articles that are considered an “Orni-Theology” topic.
A J Mithra’s articles have been great examples of “Orni-Theology. He introduced us to a bird and it’s behavior and challenged us with God’s Word to behave that way.
- Orni-Theology Introduction
- Orni-theology ~ The Master Carpenter
- Songs In The Night From The Mockingbird
- Great Blue Heron: Patient, Prompt, and (Rarely) Pugnacious – James J. S. Johnson
- Sneaky Roadrunner – James J. S. Johnson
- Rock Partridges: Lessons About Hunting And Hatching – James J. S. Johnson
- Steller’s Jay: A Lesson in Choosing What Is Valuable – James J. S. Johnson
- Yellow-headed and Red-winged Blackbirds: Living on the Inside or the Outside? – James J. S. Johnson
- Birdwatching in Iceland – Part I – James J. S. Johnson
- A Bohemian Goose and a Saxon Swan – James J. S. Johnson
- Of Robins, Wrens, and Monuments in AD2015 – James J. S. Johnson
- European Dipper, Norway’s National Bird – James J. S. Johnson
- Babbler For Who? – Lee
- Color That Man Did Not (Could Not) Create – Lee
- How Can a Mechanical ‘Cardinal’ Make ‘Selections’? – James J. S. Johnson
- Are You Entangled? – Lee
- “Flag That Bird!”—(Part 1) ~ (Part 2) ~ (Part 3) ~ (Part 4) – (Part 5) – James J. S. Johnson
- Orni-Theology and The Nest – Lee
- Trumpeting A Wildlife Conservation – James J. S. Johnson
- A Diet of Jackdaws and Ravens – James J. S. Johnson
- Want a Home in the Mountains? Some Birds Have One! – James J. S. Johnson
- Skinny As A Rail? Not Me! – James J. S. Johnson
- The Ghost Army – Repost – James J. S. Johnson
- Enter Into His Gates With Thanksgiving – James J. S. Johnson
- Choreographed Choir on the Wing: Birds of a Feather Flock Together – James J. S. Johnson
- Endemic Treasures of the Cook Islands: Atiu Swiftlet and ‘Gospel Day’ Holidays – James J. S. Johnson
- Bluebirds of Happiness, Plus Enjoying a Lutefisk Banquet – James J. S. Johnson
- Little Blue Heron at a Rural Pondshore, Seen at a Summer Rekefest – James J. S. Johnson
- Teach Your Children The Right Passwords! by James J. S. Johnson
- Lord’s Avian Wonders – Juvenile Scarlet Ibis
- Woodstock’s High-rise Nest
WOW I just found this website. It is wonderful. I have been leading a study entitled “Faith, Feathers and Friends” through this pandemic period. God has been amazing in teaching us through His Word and His World. I look with anticipation to explore more of this site. Blessings, John
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the encouragement for us and I (we) trust we will be an blessing also to you. This site has been around for about 12 years, and I am privileged to have several other writers that contributed also.
Dr. James J S Johnson is with I.C.R. and William Wise is involved in ministry in various aspects. Plus our other writers. Me? I’m just a birdwatcher that loves the Lord and my husband. But, I enjoy this outlet. Trust you will find blessings as you search the different sections here.
In Him, Mrs. Lee D.
Yes, I have one of Stotts books on The Birds our Teachers, and have finished writing my own book on Australian birds called What the Birds Teach Us, which incorporates my birding photography, bird behaviour knowledge and family counselling studies in a book to help young people get on the right track for life.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Sounds like a great book. Is it published or an ebook?
Sorry I forgot to reply earlier, my book is being proof read at present and I am hoping to publish later this year. I will make it known on my website when I am at that stage. Thanks for the interest.