For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.” (Romans 1:16-17 NKJV)
In Where Are You From? Part II, I have found there was a mistake in my genealogy to Mercy Howland. When I applied to the Howland Society for membership, I had to produce the descendant lines. Apparently, Mercy Howland has been mistreated by Ancestry.com and has caused family trees of members to be misled. Mine included. In other words, I was told that we were related when we weren’t.
Jean, at the Society, was very nice and did try to find out about it, but as you can see from the two emails from her, apparently, I am not related to the Howlands off the Mayflower.
“My problem at the moment is that I have an email in to the Mayflower Society as I see that John and Mary (LEE) Howland did have a child Mercy in Plymouth but she did not live. Also, all their children were born in Plymouth or Barnstable. But I do have an email in to the Mayflower as to the status of “Mercy” Howland. because lines are opening up everyday!!!!” More later, Jean”
“Just got word [from Mayflower Society] that there is no additional proofs to indicate that Mercy lived. Lots of mismanaged “Trees” on Ancestry that indicate otherwise. But it is not true. Sorry.”
All of this was said to say, that apparently I am not related to John Howland that fell overboard and hung on to the rope. At least, unless someone can prove that Mercy Howland did have descendants. So for now, I have chopped that limb off of my ancestral tree. Still the Lord, in His sovereignty spared his life for the 2 million descendants of his [John Howlands]
All of this still reminds me of the uncertainty and flux in the avian world. They are still reshuffling birds around. The Aves – A Taxonomy in Flux site will give you an idea of how the birds keep changing because of DNA and other studies.
Just May 19th and 20th this year:
Chaetura Swifts: Continuing the Ridgely splits (Ridgely and Greenfield, 2001), I’ve split Tumbes Swift, Chaetura ocypetes, from Short-tailed Swift, Chaetura brachyura.
[Apodidae, Apodiformes, 3.09]
Cardinalidae: Another IOC/Ridgely and Greenfield (2001) split is Olive Tanager, Habia frenata, from Carmiol’s Tanager, Habia carmioli.
[Cardinalidae, Core Passeroidea V, 3.05]
Thraupidae: Still following IOC and Ridgely and Greenfield (2001), Yellow-tufted Dacnis, Dacnis egregia (inc. aequatorialis) has been split from Black-faced Dacnis, Dacnis lineata.
Also, the Black-and-chestnut Warbling-Finch, Poospiza whitii, has been split from the Black-and-rufous Warbling-Finch, Poospiza nigrorufa based on Jordan et al. (2017), Shultz and Burns (2013), and SACC Proposal 753.
[Thraupidae, Core Passeroidea V, 3.05]
Elaenias: Based on Tang et al. (2018), I have rearranged Elaenia and returned Chilean Elaenia, Elaenia chilensis, to Sierran Elaenia, Elaenia pallatangae.
[Tyrannidae, Tyrannida II, 3.06]
Furnariinae: I have accepted several splits from IOC and Ridgely/Tudor (2009). Subspecies are allocated as in IOC.
- Pacific Tuftedcheek, Pseudocolaptes johnsoni, is split from Buffy Tuftedcheek, Pseudocolaptes lawrencii.
- Pacific Hornero, Furnarius cinnamomeus, and Caribbean Hornero, Furnarius longirostris, are split from Pale-legged Hornero, Furnarius leucopus.
- Striped Woodhaunter, Automolus subulatus, is split into Western Woodhaunter, Automolus virgatus and Eastern Woodhaunter, Automolus subulatus.
- Plain Thornbird, Phacellodomus inornatus is split from Rufous-fronted Thornbird, Phacellodomus rufifrons
- Creamy-breasted Canastero, Asthenes dorbignyi is split into Pale-tailed Canastero, Asthenes huancavelicae, Rusty-vented Canastero, Asthenes dorbignyi, and Dark-winged Canastero, Asthenes arequipae.
Baron’s Spinetail, Cranioleuca baroni, has been lumped into Line-cheeked Spinetail, Cranioleuca antisiensis. See Seeholzer and Brumfield (2018) and SACC Proposal 762.
[Furnariidae, Furnariida II, 3.05]
From that same page:
2018 Additions and Subtractions
Based on scientific names.
2018 Splits (34)
- Tumbes Swift, Chaetura ocypetes
- Striolated Manakin / Western Striped-Manakin, Machaeropterus striolatus
- Painted Manakin / Peruvian Striped-Manakin, Machaeropterus eckelberryi
- Vermilion Flycatcher, Pyrocephalus obscurus
- Darwin’s Flycatcher, Pyrocephalus nanus
- San Cristobal Flycatcher, Pyrocephalus dubius
- Blackish Chat-Tyrant, Ochthoeca nigrita
- Maroon-belted Chat-Tyrant, Ochthoeca thoracica
- Pacific Tuftedcheek, Pseudocolaptes johnsoni
- Pacific Hornero, Furnarius cinnamomeus
- Caribbean Hornero, Furnarius longirostris
- Western Woodhaunter, Automolus virgatus
- Plain Thornbird, Phacellodomus inornatus
- Pale-tailed Canastero, Asthenes huancavelicae
- Dark-winged Canastero, Asthenes arequipae.
- Eastern Tropical Gnatcatcher, Polioptila atricapilla
- Western Tropical Gnatcatcher, Polioptila parvirostris
- Maranon Gnatcatcher Polioptila maior
- Northwestern Tropical Gnatcatcher Polioptila plumbiceps
- Yucatan Gnatcatcher, Polioptila albiventris
- White-browed Gnatcatcher, Polioptila bilineata
- Himalayan Shortwing, Brachypteryx cruralis
- Chinese Shortwing, Brachypteryx sinensis
- Taiwan Shortwing, Brachypteryx goodfellowi
- Sumatran Shortwing, Brachypteryx saturata
- Flores Shortwing, Brachypteryx floris
- Bornean Shortwing, Brachypteryx erythrogyna
- Philippine Shortwing, Brachypteryx poliogyna
- Mt. Apo Shortwing, Brachypteryx mindanensis
- Peruvian Pipit, Anthus peruvianus
- Puna Pipit, Anthus brevirostris
- Olive Tanager, Habia frenata
- Yellow-tufted Dacnis, Dacnis egregia
- Black-and-chestnut Warbling-Finch, Poospiza whitii
2018 Lumps (4)
- Chaco Nothura, Nothura chacoensis
- Chilean Elaenia, Elaenia chilensis
- Baron’s Spinetail, Cranioleuca baroni
- South Georgia Pipit, Anthus antarcticus
“the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,” (Ephesians 1:18 NKJV)
Am disappointed about not being related to John Howland? A little, but I still have a great family and heritage. My Christian family is even larger and I do not have any way to trace their roots. Yet, when we all get to heaven, OH! What a reunion that will be! All my spiritual family and many of my own genetic family there.
What a reunion day!
to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” (Ephesians 3:21 NKJV)
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.” (Romans 1:16-17 NKJV)