Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8 NKJV)
Well, they released a new I.O.C. version of World Bird Names. This version is 6.1 and I have been working on updating the site to reflect the new changes. It was not a really huge change, thankfully. In fact, they only added five new species and deleted one.
The IOC World Bird List 6.1 contains 10,615 extant species (and 154 extinct species) classified in 40 Orders, 239 Families (plus 2 Incertae Sedis) and 2283 Genera and 20,601 Subspecies.
The new species are:
- ‘Tschui’s’ Nightjar (Systellura decussata)
- ‘Western’ [Striolated] Puffbird (Nystalus obamai)
- Sedge Wren (Cistothorus stellaris)
- Bundok Flycatcher (Ficedula luzoniensis)
- Merida Brushfinch (Atlapetes meridae)
The Roosevelt Stipple-throated Antwren (Epinecrophylla dentei) was deleted.
There were some name changes, the biggest one was the forty (40) Brush Finch being renamed Brushfinch.
Here are the other name changes:
- Great Northern Loon (Gavia immer) back to Common Loon – Revert to established (North American) name
- Crowned Solitary Eagle (Buteogallus coronatus) to Chaco Eagle
- Montane Solitary Eagle (Buteogallus solitarius) to Solitary Eagle
- Andean Snipe (Gallinago jamesoni) to Jameson’s Snipe
- Scaly-throated Earthcreeper (Upucerthia dumetaria) to Scale-throated Earthcreeper
- Macgregor’s Bowerbird (Amblyornis macgregoriae) to MacGregor’s Bowerbird
- Macgregor’s Honeyeater (Macgregoria pulchra) to MacGregor’s Honeyeater
- Sedge Wren (Cistothorus platensis) to Grass Wren
- Hood Mockingbird (Mimus macdonaldi) to Espanola Mockingbird
Then in the Taxonomy changes; here are those changes:
The biggest change here was moving the Yellow-shouldered ((Parkerthraustes humeralis) out of the Card family and placing it in the Thraupidae Family because it is actually a Tanager.
- Lesser Moorhen (Paragallinula angulata)
- Spot-flanked Gallinule (Porphyriops melanops)
- Mascarene Parrot (Mascarinus mascarinus)
- Chapada Flycatcher (Suiriri affinis)
- Dickcissel (Spiza americana) Resequence Spiza as sister to blue cardinals (Cyanocompsa)
All the indexes are up to date except the Last Name – First Name listings. Because it was such a small amount of changes, they will be updated on the next update. The First Name – Last Name indexes are all corrected to the 6.1 Version. (That is the one most people search.)