Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8 NKJV)
Well, they released a new I.O.C. version of World Bird Names. This version is 6.1 and I have been working on updating the site to reflect the new changes. It was not a really huge change, thankfully. In fact, they only added five new species and deleted one.
The new species are:
- ‘Tschui’s’ Nightjar (Systellura decussata)
- ‘Western’ [Striolated] Puffbird (Nystalus obamai)
- Sedge Wren (Cistothorus stellaris)
- Bundok Flycatcher (Ficedula luzoniensis)
- Merida Brushfinch (Atlapetes meridae)
The Roosevelt Stipple-throated Antwren (Epinecrophylla dentei) was deleted.
There were some name changes, the biggest one was the forty (40) Brush Finch being renamed Brushfinch.
Here are the other name changes:
- Great Northern Loon (Gavia immer) back to Common Loon – Revert to established (North American) name
- Crowned Solitary Eagle (Buteogallus coronatus) to Chaco Eagle
- Montane Solitary Eagle (Buteogallus solitarius) to Solitary Eagle
- Andean Snipe (Gallinago jamesoni) to Jameson’s Snipe
- Scaly-throated Earthcreeper (Upucerthia dumetaria) to Scale-throated Earthcreeper
- Macgregor’s Bowerbird (Amblyornis macgregoriae) to MacGregor’s Bowerbird
- Macgregor’s Honeyeater (Macgregoria pulchra) to MacGregor’s Honeyeater
- Sedge Wren (Cistothorus platensis) to Grass Wren
- Hood Mockingbird (Mimus macdonaldi) to Espanola Mockingbird
Then in the Taxonomy changes; here are those changes:
The biggest change here was moving the Yellow-shouldered ((Parkerthraustes humeralis) out of the Card family and placing it in the Thraupidae Family because it is actually a Tanager.
- Lesser Moorhen (Paragallinula angulata)
- Spot-flanked Gallinule (Porphyriops melanops)
- Mascarene Parrot (Mascarinus mascarinus)
- Chapada Flycatcher (Suiriri affinis)
- Dickcissel (Spiza americana) Resequence Spiza as sister to blue cardinals (Cyanocompsa)
All the indexes are up to date except the Last Name – First Name listings. Because it was such a small amount of changes, they will be updated on the next update. The First Name – Last Name indexes are all corrected to the 6.1 Version. (That is the one most people search.)