“Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate.” (Luke 23:11 NIV)
“And Herod with his men of war set him at nought, and mocked him, and arrayed him in a gorgeous robe, and sent him again to Pilate.” (Luke 23:11 KJV)
Christ wore an elegant or gorgeous robe. They were mocking him, yet, he was very worthy of wearing an elegant robe.
Avian and Attributes – Elegant
EL’EGANT, a. [L. elegans.] Polished; polite; refined; graceful; pleasing to good taste; as elegant manners.
1. Polished, neat; pure; rich in expressions; correct in arrangement; as an elegant style or composition.
2. Uttering or delivering elegant language with propriety and grace; as an elegant speaker.
3. Symmetrical; regular; well formed in its parts, proportions and distribution; as an elegant structure.
5. Beautiful in form and colors; pleasing; as an elegant flower.
6. Rich; costly and ornamental; as elegant furniture or equipage.
Our Creator and Savior knew about creating Elegant beauty, especially in the avian creations. Here is a list of birds that birdwatchers have place the word, Elegant, in their first names:
Elegant Crescentchest (from Flickr)
Link to Elegant Pitta
Elegant Quail (from Flickr)
[Definitions from Webster’s Dictionary of American English (1828), unless noted. Bird info from Wikipedia plus. Edited]