“The foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with all kinds of precious stones: the first foundation was jasper, …. the fifth sardonyx, the sixth sardius, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst.” (Revelation 21:19a-20 NKJV)
BER’YL,n. [L.beryllus; Eng.brilliant.]
A mineral, considered by Cleaveland as a subspecies of Emerald. Its prevailing color is green of various shades,but always pale. Its crystals are usually longer and larger than those of the precious emerald, and its structure more distinctly foliated. It is harder than the apatite,with which it has been confounded; harder and less heavy than the pycnite. The best beryls are found in Brazil, in Siberia and Ceylon, and in Dauria, on the frontiers of China. They are found in many parts of the United States. [Webster Dictionary 1828]
Beryl – berullos (G969), “beryl,” is a precious stone of a sea-green color, Rev_21:20 (cf. Exo_28:20). [Vine’s]
Beryl is a mineral of great hardness, and, when transparent, of much beauty. …probably the mineral now called beryl, which is identical with the emerald except in color, being a light green or bluish-green. [Smith’s Bible Dictionary]
beryl — of a sea-green color. [Jamieson-Fausset-Brown]
I believe that most of these references are in agreement that the color is a light green, leaning toward “sea-green.” So, let’s see what birds we can find of that sort of color.
There are actually two birds with Beryl in their first names:
The Berylline Hummingbird (Amazilia beryllina),
And the Beryl-spangled Tanager.
Or another shot from below the bird:
Also, there is one bird that has beryl… in its scientific name. Now this one matches what I take a sea-green. Do you agree?
Articles in this Series so far:
- Heaven’s New Jerusalem and Birds – Introduction
- Previous Post About Precious Stones
- Heaven’s New Jerusalem and Birds – Foundation Stones
- Heavens New Jerusalem and Birds – Sapphire
- Heavens New Jerusalem and Birds – Chalcedony
- Heaven’s New Jerusalem and Birds – Emerald
- Heaven’s New Jerusalem and Birds – Colors
- How Are We Reflecting God’s Light?
- Heaven’s New Jerusalem and Birds – Sardonyx
- Heaven’s New Jerusalem and Birds – Sardius
- Heaven’s New Jerusalem and Birds – Chrysolite