“A friend loves at all times,…” (Proverbs 17:17a NKJV)
Well, my friends Woodstock and Snoopy were at it again this Sunday. It appears that Woodstock has a Dilemma and patient Snoopy listened, and then offered a solution to the problem. It’s nice to have friends like that as we go through life.
“…And the sweetness of a man’s friend gives delight by hearty counsel.” (Proverbs 27:9b NKJV)
Here is some information that helps us understand how birds do get “Split Ends.” Notice the number 3 feather.
“A close look at feather growth reveals how these intricate structures form.
- Each new feather grows from a small outgrowth of skin called the papilla.
- As feathers mature, their tips get pushed away from the papilla, where the newest parts of the feather form. Like human hair, feathers are youngest at their base.
- The feather’s structure develops as proteins are laid down around the surface of this bump of skin. It’s here that the branching patterns form by smaller branches fusing at the base to make thicker ones—barbules fuse into barbs and barbs fuse into a rachis.
- As the feather grows, it stays curled in a tubular shape around the papilla until it is pushed away from the growth area.
- A protective sheath maintains the feather’s cylindrical shape until it starts to disintegrate near the tip, allowing the mature part of the feather to unfurl.
- The sheath falls off and the growth process is complete.”
The feather photo and above information is from: Everything You Need To Know About Feathers
Here is an interesting video that explains quite a bit about moulting. Even though she explains with captive birds, the principles are the same.
Most of us have watched birds preening their feathers. Often, they are working on a new feather that they are fixing up.
What a wonderful Creator of these Avian Wonders. I’ll never believe that feathers and their structures “just evolved.” No, their was, is, and will be a Master Creator at work.
“Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.” (Genesis 1:20 NKJV)